Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Beginning

I should probably start by saying that my weight has been a constant struggle for me. Starting from about the age of 13 and my mother signed me up for Weight Watchers. Although I has some success with it, I didn't know at the time that my body was out of control and that I had a weight problem. Like most things, you have to recognize that there is a problem before you can start doing genuine and sincere work to fix it. Since my early teens I have had a vague notion that I was overweight and would go on periodic health kicks causing my weight to yo-yo from 125-185lbs on my 4'11'' frame. Being short, medium framed and a naturally muscular build means that I have never been the recommended 98lbs., since I was about ten which is when I stopped growing.

I would love to blame my weight on my genetics, a thyroid issue, or having a slow metabolism; but it is simply not possible. I am overweight for one reason and one reason only: ME. I love to eat, I love food. It's no one particular type of food, like the woman that is obsessed with cheese fries, it's all food. I love meat, bread, potatoes, rice, Mexican food, desserts, fried foods, cheese, cream sauces, I'm sure you get the idea. When I have talked to others about their relationship with food they seem to be able to pick out a single weakness that will tempt them, not me.

When I was pregnant with my son Wolfgang, I developed gestational diabetes. Unfortunately no matter how well I ate I could not keep my blood sugar under control so I had to start taking Glyburide. Between diet and medication I was able to keep my diabetes under control and gave birth to very healthy 6lb. 12oz., baby boy. In less than three months I found myself pregnant again, but never developed gestational diabetes, although I probably should have. While pregnant with my fourth baby I ate whatever I wanted, if it was fried I wanted it. A local Mexican Deli knew my name and the usual order that I had, Chile Relleno Burrito (with extra sour cream) or a Torta de Carnitas. I usually left the Deli and drove a few short blocks to the local cupcake bakery and ordered half a dozen to take home and share.  After giving birth to my son Zephyr, I continued to be out of control with my food choices. When we would go out to eat, I would clean my plate. I never had been able to do that before. I ate something called the 2am Burger that is a cheeseburger complete with bacon, sausage, and a fried egg! I finished off that meal by sharing a fried Snickers with my husband. I justified my behavior by saying that I was breastfeeding and needed the extra calories.

My wake up call came when I saw a picture of myself. I couldn't believe that I was looking at a picture of me. That was me, squeezing into a size 16 and extra large shirts. I made promise to myself to become healthy. To make better choices, eat better, exercise and become fit. But this had to last longer than the duration of my weight loss, this has to be a lifestyle change. I need to become a role model for all of my children.

Luck and chance provided me with the extra motivation to get my new lifestyle a kick start. I was going back to work after an eight month maternity leave and as it turned out my employer had started a fitness challenge. The grand prize being a vacation for two plus spending money, second place a $400 gift certificate for the clothing store of your choice and third place being a dinner for two in Monterey, CA. My employer would also pay for a membership to the local YMCA for the duration of the competition.


No comments:

Post a Comment